Attack of the meme! Hoom, sounds a bit like the title of a bad 1950s sci-fi movie.
“My god! Memes!”
“Run for the hills, the memes are coming!”
“Martha, fetch me mah gun, them thar god damn memes are after the sheep again”.
One man and his fight against the invading horde of… The Memes!
THE RULES. YOU WILL OBEY OR BE DESTROYED. THE MEME COMMANDS IT.
1. Link to your tagger and post these rules.
2. List eight (8) random facts about yourself.
3. Tag eight people at the end of your post and list their names (linking to them).
4. Let them know they’ve been tagged by leaving them a comment on their blogs.
So then, eight factual facts of factitude:
1. I am not currently, nor to my knowledge have I ever been, the Earl of Huntingdon.
2. I once tried to overcome my irrational fear of bees by joining the bee keeping society at school. On my first trip to the hive, twenty or more bees got inside my bee keeping suit and stung me about the head.
3. I have a completely rational fear of bees. Because they’re little evil genius bastards.
4. I’m a software engineer who works in the aerospace industry where I’m part of a team that builds some of the leading pilot interface technology in the world. We build this using 1970s processor technology. Each day when we leave the site we have to go through irony-decontamination procedures so that we don’t flood the world outside with our deep sense of discordance between reality and our ideals. Nevertheless, the next time you fly on a jet airliner, remember that there’s a chance that the lunatic from this blog wrote some of the software running on it.
5. I’m introverted enough to be painfully shy and retiring even in online games, where nobody knows who I am and will very likely never find out. Once I get to know people and feel more comfortable around them I still have a propensity to remain silent until someone else speaks first.
6. I once sat with an adult tiger; we formed quite a bond and she licked my arm like a house cat would. It really hurt, and my whole forearm was raw for the rest of the day. Despite that, I still prefer tigers over bees.
7. My first introduction to gaming was the Warhammer 40k source book. I was probably ten years old and I didn’t even know what it was at the time, I was just drawn to the shiny blue Ultramarines fighting on the front cover. My first introduction to computer gaming was Arcadians on the BBC B microcomputer. Shortly thereafter I started writing my own games. They were rubbish.
8. In the time it took you to read this blog entry I will probably have drunk a cup of tea. I drink a lot of tea. I do not, however, regularly wear a bowler hat, wield a long black umbrella or a walking cane. I do not sport a handlebar moustache or wear a pin-stripe suit. I don’t say “Chin chin” or “It’s just not cricket, old boy”. I could drink tea for England, though.
So there you go, eight things that you’d probably rather not know about me.
The Meme commands further tagging of people, which is always the awkward part. Who to tag? Who not to tag? Who has already been tagged? I don’t know about you, but at school if you tagged the wrong person, even if they were actively playing the tag game, you’d get clocked on the nose. Ok, maybe that was just me.
So I’m going to disobey the meme, scallywag that I am, and say that if you’ve commented on the Inferno and you’d like to partake in this meme, please feel free to undertake it, let me know here and I’ll add your name to The List. That probably covers about eight whole people, so I’m only being partially disobedient.
Don’t fear The Memes.